GPS News  
Tibetans rubbish China's 'propaganda' on suicide attacks

by Staff Writers
New Delhi (AFP) April 1, 2008
Tibetan authorities in India on Tuesday dismissed Chinese allegations that Tibetans were planning suicide attacks ahead of the Olympics and asked Beijing for evidence.

The India-based Tibetan government-in-exile labelled the claims propaganda and reiterated the Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama was not opposed to Beijing hosting the Olympics Games in August.

"Instead of making baseless accusations, they, the Chinese government, need to give evidence in support of what they say," Thubten Samphel, spokesman of the Tibetan government-in-exile, told AFP.

"These kinds of comments are propaganda because as Buddhists we believe suicide is the worst form of crime," he said by telephone from the northern hill town of Dharamshala, where the Tibetan administration is headquartered.

The reaction came after Beijing said Tibetans would organise suicide squads in a push for independence in their homeland, which last month saw the deadliest anti-China unrest in 20 years.

In Beijing, Chinese public security ministry spokesman Wu Heping said his government feared "violent attacks."

"To our knowledge, the next plan of the Tibetan independence forces is to organise suicide squads to launch violent attacks," Wu said.

"They fear neither bloodshed nor sacrifice," he added.

Tibetan spokesman Samphel denied any such plans.

"Our struggle is non-violent and suicide attacks are unheard of in Buddhism. We believe the human form the most precious form on earth and such unsubstantiated claims do no service either to the Chinese or the Tibetan people," he said.

China's latest assertions were among the most dramatic by Beijing in its offensive against the Dalai Lama, whom it accuses of masterminding the unrest that broke out last month in Tibet against Chinese rule of the Himalayan region.

The Dalai Lama, who won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1989, has repeatedly denied orchestrating the unrest, spoke out against the protests when they turned violent and denied he wants independence for his homeland.

Wu said the anti-China riots that began in Tibet's capital, Lhasa, and spread through Tibetan-populated regions in nearby provinces were organised by a group called the "Tibetan People's Uprising Movement."

He said the movement was organised by the exiled Tibetan government of the Dalai Lama and was seeking to use the period up to the August Olympics to pressure China's government.

The protests began in Lhasa on March 10 and escalated into rioting there four days later. China says Tibetan rioters killed 18 civilians and two police officers.

Exiled Tibetan leaders have put the death toll from the Chinese crackdown at 135-140 people, with another 1,000 injured and many detained.

Related Links
China News from SinoDaily.com



Memory Foam Mattress Review
Newsletters :: SpaceDaily :: SpaceWar :: TerraDaily :: Energy Daily
XML Feeds :: Space News :: Earth News :: War News :: Solar Energy News


China says Tibet still closed for foreign reporters
Beijing (AFP) April 1, 2008
China said Tuesday that Tibet remained closed for foreign journalists, nearly three weeks after deadly riots broke out in the Himalayan region.







  • Europe's EADS finds sweet home in Alabama despite uproar
  • A380 superjumbo makes European debut in London
  • Aviation industry must act fast on climate change: Airbus chief
  • Northrop, EADS to invest 600 mln dlrs in Alabama site

  • New York inches towards traffic congestion charge
  • Argonne Tests Validate BMW Hydrogen 7 Emissions Below SULEV
  • Student Teams From Across The Americas Prepare To Help the World Use Less Fuel
  • GridPoint And Duke Energy Conduct Test Of Smart Charging For Hybrid Vehicles

  • Lockheed Martin Team Awarded AMF JTRS Contract
  • Lockheed Martin Team Achieves Major Milestone On US Navy's Mobile User Objective System
  • BAE And USAF To Develop New Technologies For Mission Management
  • Lockheed Martin Wins Contract To Support Defense Department High Performance Computing Centers

  • Bush to Russia: 'Join us' on missile defense
  • SAIC Delivers Infrared Sensor For Risk Reduction - Alternative Infrared Satellite System
  • Japan completes missile defense system deployment: reports
  • Differences remain with Russia on missile defense: US

  • Specially-Designed Soils Could Help Combat Climate Change
  • Chips Could Speed Up Detection Of Livestock Viruses
  • Russia calls for sturgeon fishing ban in Caspian
  • Consensus reached to fight tuna overfishing: Japan

  • Disasters In Small Communities: Researchers Discuss How To Help
  • Raytheon Develops Advanced Concrete Breaking Technology For Urban Search And Rescue
  • Floods, cyclones, devastate southern Africa: UN
  • Louisiana System Built Homes Completes First Fortified For Safer Living Home

  • Russia's Progress Develops New Bion-M Biosatellite
  • Researchers Explore Materials Degradation In Space
  • CEE Researchers Unravel The Secrets Of Spider Silk's Strength
  • Satellites Take Sustainability To New Heights

  • Toshiba robot can do the job of the remote control
  • Jules Verne Set For Next Step On Road To Automated Station Docking
  • High-Schoolers Go Into Overdrive At FIRST Robotics Competition
  • In Japan, robot babysitter always ready to play

  • The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright Space.TV Corporation. AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space.TV Corp on any Web page published or hosted by Space.TV Corp. Privacy Statement