GPS News  
IRAQ WARS
Resumption of US combat ops possible but unlikely: Odierno

US soldier killed in southern Iraq
Baghdad (AFP) Aug 22, 2010 - An American soldier was killed in southern Iraq on Sunday, the US army said in a statement, bringing to 4,417 the number of its troops killed in the country since Saddam Hussein's ouster in 2003. "A United States Forces -- Iraq -- soldier was killed today in Basra province while conducting operations in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom," the army said, without giving further details. There are currently 52,000 American soldiers in Iraq and the army is close to completing a major withdrawal of troops by the end of August -- when numbers will fall to 50,000 -- as it declares an end to its combat mission here. The withdrawal of the last US combat brigade on Thursday was hailed as a symbolic moment for the controversial American presence in Iraq, more than seven years since the US-invasion that toppled Saddam. However, US troops continue to conduct joint operations with Iraqi soldiers and Kurdish Peshmerga fighters in Diyala, Nineveh and Kirkuk provinces under a joint security agreement outside the scope of regular US army missions in Iraq.
by Staff Writers
Washington (AFP) Aug 22, 2010
The top US commander in Iraq admitted Sunday that a "complete failure" of Iraqi security forces could oblige the United States to resume combat operations there, but he called this an unlikely scenario.

The last US combat brigade withdrew from Iraq on Thursday. On August 31 combat operations officially end and the role of the remaining 50,000 American troops switches to one of providing advice and assistance.

General Ray Odierno told CNN's "State of the Union" that the ability of the Iraqi police and army to keep a lid on the violence was improving, but refused to rule out a return to US combat missions if things went sour.

The commander said security advances meant the country was on target to be able to handle its own security after 2011 when the remaining US troops are due to be withdrawn.

"My assessment today is they will be (ready)," Odierno told CNN, speaking from Baghdad. "I think that they continue to grow. We continue to see development in planning and in their ability to conduct operations.

"The Iraqi people are resilient. They want this. They want to have a democratic country. They want to be on their own. They want to be moving forward and be a contributor to stability in the Middle East."

Despite the advances in building up Iraq's security apparatus, Odierno conceded there were scenarios where the US military might have to step back in and resume combat operations.

"If, for example, you had a complete failure of the (Iraqi) security forces. If you had some political divisions within the political forces that caused them to fracture, but we don't see that happening," he said.

"They have been doing so well for so long now that we really believe that we are beyond that point."

Massive security challenges remain, and the extent of the country's political problems was highlighted this week when the winner of the general election five months ago broke off coalition talks with his main rival.

Thursday's pullout, a major symbolic step in the handing back of power to the Iraqi people, came two days after a suicide bomber killed 59 people at a Baghdad army recruiting center in Iraq's deadliest attack this year.

Iraq's top military officer warned earlier this month that American forces may be needed in the conflict-wracked nation for a further decade.

US President Barack Obama will make a major speech on Iraq on his return next week from his summer vacation in Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts, a senior administration official said.

Obama, who was an opponent of the Iraq war from the beginning and promised on the road to the White House to withdraw US forces as quickly as possible, has insisted the ongoing pullout is on schedule and will not be altered.

Under a bilateral security pact all US forces must leave Iraq by the end of 2011, but in a second interview with CBS's "Face the Nation," Odierno said that if asked to the US military would consider staying beyond 2011.

"But that would obviously be a policy decision that would be made by the national security team and the president over time," he added.

Anthony Blinken, national security advisor for Vice President Joe Biden, suggested earlier this month that the US military presence in Iraq post-2011 could be just "dozens" or "hundreds" of troops under embassy authority.

The August 31 formal end to US combat operations comes almost seven and a half years after the start of the US-led invasion to topple Saddam Hussein, ordered by Obama's predecessor George W. Bush.

Asked if the war had now been won, Odierno told CBS: "I would say to determine whether we've won the war or not, we can see that in three to five years as we see how Iraq turns out."



Share This Article With Planet Earth
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit
YahooMyWebYahooMyWeb GoogleGoogle FacebookFacebook



Related Links
Iraq: The first technology war of the 21st century



Memory Foam Mattress Review
Newsletters :: SpaceDaily :: SpaceWar :: TerraDaily :: Energy Daily
XML Feeds :: Space News :: Earth News :: War News :: Solar Energy News


IRAQ WARS
U.S. Withdrawal From Iraq: Ending Or Outsourcing The War?
Moscow, Russia (RIA Novosti) Aug 20, 2010
Iraqis, along with the rest of the Muslim world, have ushered in the holy month of Ramadan, hoping it will give their thoughts some refuge from worries about Iraq's future. The country is still living without a cabinet, and only God knows when it will get one. Meanwhile, the U.S. has started withdrawing combat brigades in keeping with President Barack Obama's election pledge. All combat tr ... read more







IRAQ WARS
Drought lowers world plant productivity

Greenhouse Gas Calculator Connects Farming Practices With Carbon Credits

Russian food prices jump amid heatwave: official

Germans To Help With New Food Zapping Process

IRAQ WARS
Computer data stored with 'spintronics'

Protein From Poplar Trees Can Be Used To Greatly Increase Computer Capacity

Polymer Synthesis Could Aid Future Electronics

Acer, Asus and Lenovo lead pack as PC sales surge

IRAQ WARS
Lightning bolts a risk for modern jets

Russian analysts assail aerial projects

US Senate legend Stevens killed in Alaska plane crash

Turkey's aerial industries prosper

IRAQ WARS
Making Vehicles Safer

Scots scientists create car biofuel from whisky by-products

Scientists develop safer parts for cars

GM, China's SAIC to co-develop core technology

IRAQ WARS
Rio makes changes in China after bribery convictions: CEO

Kigali -- from sleepy backwater to Africa's Singapore

Atlantic-Pacific corridor gets green light

China computer giant Lenovo swings back to profit

IRAQ WARS
Norway to pay 30 million dollars to save Indonesian forests

Satellites confirm world mangrove losses

US converts Brazilian debt into environmental protection

Global Tropical Forests Threatened By 2100

IRAQ WARS
Google photographing French streets again, minus Wi-Fi scans

Google doubles Germans' opt-out deadline for Street View

New Satellite Data Reveals True Decline Of World's Mangrove Forests

An Ocean Of Research Via Satellite

IRAQ WARS
Carbon capture needs a price -- study

Despite efforts, France fails to curb CO2

Graphene Exhibits Bizarre New Behavior Well Suited To Electronic Devices

German power plant testing CO2-scrubbing algae


The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2010 - SpaceDaily. AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by SpaceDaily on any Web page published or hosted by SpaceDaily. Privacy Statement