GPS News  
DISASTER MANAGEMENT
New drugs blow to Haiti aid effort

by Staff Writers
Port-Au-Prince (AFP) Feb 9, 2010
The WHO stopped Tuesday providing free drugs to private clinics and NGOs in Haiti after reports patients were being charged, potentially dealing a big blow to the already stumbling aid effort.

This followed distressing scenes of hungry survivors rubbing their bellies and shouting desperately on Monday after the UN suspended food supplies to some 10,000 quake survivors in the capital when fake coupons were discovered.

"Only public hospitals are going to continue to receive the drugs for free," WHO spokeswoman Marie-Agnes Heine told AFP. "All others will have to pay."

"There were reports about hospitals charging patients for treatment. I think we have to avoid this kind of misuse of materials and supplies."

Heine said there would be a review after three months and stressed that the new rules would allow the UN's health agency to keep a closer watch over its drug stocks.

Meanwhile, doctors treating a frail Haitian man said they believed he miraculously survived 27 days buried in rubble after last month's devastating earthquake, but there was no explanation of how.

The rescued man, named as Evans Monsigrace, told doctors at a University of Miami field hospital in the capital Port-au-Prince that he had been buried by the January 12 quake while cooking rice.

"Amazingly he got out after 27 days. It's amazing and we are proud to have him here," said doctor Dushyantha Jayaweera, the chief medical officer at the center.

It was not immediately possible to verify Monsigrace's claim and there was no concrete explanation for how he survived so long if he was trapped under the rubble without access to water.

The emaciated survivor was brought into the hospital on Monday and treated for dehydration by emergency doctors, Jayaweera said, adding that he was "alert" and in a stable condition.

According to the man's mother, he was discovered by people clearing debris who then alerted Monsigrace's brothers.

"I think it tells us about people not giving up on their loved ones, they kept looking and kept hoping," Jayaweera said.

Some 135 people are known to have been saved from the rubble by international rescue teams since the quake.

The last person rescued in Haiti was a 16-year-old girl pulled out by a French rescue team almost two weeks ago.

Angelina Jolie injected star power into the relief work following the quake that killed more than 200,000 people, visiting UN staff and touring the refuge caring for the children at the center of the American kidnap case.

Hollywood starlet Jolie, also a UN goodwill ambassador, landed at a UN base in Port-au-Prince, where she was seen wearing a black jacket and sunglasses, before touring the SOS Children's Villages refuge outside the capital.

The center is caring for 33 children that 10 Americans have been charged with kidnapping after attempting to take them unauthorized across the Dominican border in a bus.

Haitians whose children wound up with the Americans told the judge in the case on Tuesday that they gave the missionaries permission through a Haitian pastor to take them, the Americans' lawyer said.

One man, who did not want to give his name, said before entering the hearing that he had handed his 15-year-old son over to them because he had "fractured his foot in the earthquake" and needed treatment.

The Americans, from Idaho, were arrested on the border with the Dominican Republic on January 29 as they traveled with the busload of children and were charged last week with kidnapping and conspiracy.

They have claimed they had no ill-intent in taking children they thought were orphans.



Share This Article With Planet Earth
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit
YahooMyWebYahooMyWeb GoogleGoogle FacebookFacebook



Related Links
Bringing Order To A World Of Disasters
A world of storm and tempest
When the Earth Quakes



Memory Foam Mattress Review
Newsletters :: SpaceDaily :: SpaceWar :: TerraDaily :: Energy Daily
XML Feeds :: Space News :: Earth News :: War News :: Solar Energy News


DISASTER MANAGEMENT
In Haiti, doctors struggle with new wave of injured
Port-Au-Prince (AFP) Feb 8, 2010
Nearly a month after an earthquake devastated Haiti, medical teams still treat trauma patients but also face a new wave of ailments linked to poor hygiene and squalid, cramped living conditions. After three sleepless nights with debilitating pain in her lower back, 53-year-old Anne Setoute waited for her turn at the Canape Vert hospital in the capital Port-au-Prince. Her house came crash ... read more







The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2010 - SpaceDaily. AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by SpaceDaily on any Web page published or hosted by SpaceDaily. Privacy Statement