GPS News  
IRAQ WARS
Iraqi army plane crashes, IS claims downing it
by Staff Writers
Baghdad (AFP) March 16, 2016


Iraq offensive uproots 35,000: US military
Washington (AFP) March 16, 2016 - An Iraqi offensive against the Islamic State group near the town of Hit has driven some 35,000 people from their homes, a US military spokesman said Wednesday.

Taking care of their needs is "a challenge for the Iraqi government," Colonel Steve Warren acknowledged via video conference from Baghdad.

He said the US-led coalition, along with international relief organizations, was doing what it could to alleviate conditions.

Having retaken the city of Ramadi from IS in December, the Iraqi military is now moving into the Euphrates River valley toward Hit, a key hub.

Last week they dropped leaflets over the area warning that elite Iraqi forces were approaching, according to Warren.

He said the aim was to warn residents on how to stay safe, but also to "weaken ISIL morale." ISIL is an alternate acronym for Islamic State.

The military spokesman said Iraqi forces have detained 149 IS fighters trying to blend in with the civilians fleeing the area.

"We believe that this enemy is on the defensive," he said.

The US State Department said Monday that more and more IS combatants were defecting.

The United States has been fighting IS in Iraq and Syria since the summer of 2014 at the head of a multi-national coalition.

An Iraqi army plane went down Wednesday near Kirkuk, with the military blaming a technical problem but the Islamic State group claiming its fighters shot it down.

A high-ranking military source told AFP that the plane crashed during a reconnaissance flight near Kirkuk and that its three crew were considered missing.

The military source said authorities had launched a search for the crew after the Cessna 208 Caravan went down near Kirkuk, around 220 kilometres (135 miles) north of Baghdad.

In its combat version, the aircraft can be used to launch laser-guided Hellfire missiles.

The Islamic State jihadist group claimed in a statement posted on Twitter and a video released moments later that its fighters had shot the plane down, killing five crew members.

It said it used anti-aircraft artillery against a plane that had been on a bombing run against the city of Hawijah, a stronghold of the jihadists in Kirkuk province.

A video -- which claims to show the moment the aircraft was shot down -- released by the jihadist organisation shows the wreckage of a plane that could be a Cessna Caravan.

The footage also shows IS fighters celebrating around body parts, some of which are floating in a small canal.

Iraqi forces have been making gains against the jihadists in recent months as they seek to reclaim territory seized by IS during a major offensive in 2014.

Hawijah, like other IS bastions across Iraq, is increasingly isolated as federal, Kurdish and tribal forces slowly close in.

The pressure has mounted on anti-IS forces to flush the jihadists out of the Hawijah area after a chemical attack was launched from the nearby village of Bashir last week.

The suspected mustard agent attack on the Kurdish-controlled town of Taza killed a three-year-old girl and left hundreds of people complaining of burns and respiratory problems.

The town's residents have demanded government action to retake Bashir, which is visible from the main road between Baghdad and Kirkuk, but has remained in IS hands since 2014.

Military coordination between the Kurdish peshmerga fighters and the government-allied Shiite Turkmen militia groups that also operate in the area has been difficult, slowing any operation against the jihadists.

Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi has responded by promising that an operation against Bashir would get under way soon.

A senior military official in Kirkuk said that such an operation would further increase the pressure on Hawijah, which is IS's main remaining hub east of the Tigris.

IS shot down an Iraqi military helicopter on February 17, killing two crew members.

Two days earlier, an Iraqi Mi-17 helicopter crashed south of Baghdad due to a "technical problem", killing nine people.

Iraq cabinet warns Sadr protest camp 'illegal'
Baghdad (AFP) March 16, 2016 - The Iraqi cabinet has decided not to authorise a protest camp by followers of cleric Moqtada Sadr which had been due to begin Friday in front of the fortified "Green Zone".

Tens of thousands of Sadr supporters have been preparing for a days-long sit-in in central Baghdad aimed at pressuring the government to implement deeper political reform.

"Staging a sit-in is not permitted by law, especially in the current security circumstances, notably the threat by terrorist groups and the potential for this gathering to be targeted," a cabinet statement said Wednesday.

"The security forces are busy with the fight against Daesh (Islamic State group) and it is not possible to guarantee the protection of this gathering at all times," it said.

The cabinet stressed that it "supports the demonstrations demanding government reforms" and has protected one-day protests by the Sadr movement in recent weeks.

The Najaf-based Sadr had urged his supporters on March 12 to prepare tents for a protest camp supposed to begin on Friday and last until the expiry 10 days later of an ultimatum he gave the government.

A month ago, the Shiite cleric gave Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi 45 days to present the names of technocrats for a new government.

Sadrists have held a series of massive rallies in central Baghdad, with thousands turning out last week for the latest protest to press their demands.

The presence a week earlier of armed Sadr supporters outside the Green Zone -- where Abadi's office, parliament and the US embassy are located -- sparked intense security concerns.

In the protest that he attended in Baghdad three week ago, Sadr threatened that his supporters could storm the Green Zone if their demands were not met.


Thanks for being here;
We need your help. The SpaceDaily news network continues to grow but revenues have never been harder to maintain.

With the rise of Ad Blockers, and Facebook - our traditional revenue sources via quality network advertising continues to decline. And unlike so many other news sites, we don't have a paywall - with those annoying usernames and passwords.

Our news coverage takes time and effort to publish 365 days a year.

If you find our news sites informative and useful then please consider becoming a regular supporter or for now make a one off contribution.
SpaceDaily Contributor
$5 Billed Once


credit card or paypal
SpaceDaily Monthly Supporter
$5 Billed Monthly


paypal only


.


Related Links
Iraq: The first technology war of the 21st century






Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.

Share this article via these popular social media networks
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit GoogleGoogle

Previous Report
IRAQ WARS
IS returns to Iraqi town, 24 hours after vacating it
Baghdad (AFP) March 14, 2016
The Islamic State group on Monday returned to the desert town of Rutba in western Iraq, less than a day after vacating it, officials said. The mayor of the remote town in Anbar province had warned when IS pulled out that the jihadist organisation may just be testing the population's allegiance. "Daesh (IS) has re-established its control on the city of Rutba... which it had left the previ ... read more


IRAQ WARS
Fertilizer applied to fields today will pollute water for decades

Unease over Chinese investors buying farms Down Under

Pesticides affect bees' ability to locate flowers, drink nectar

US gives tentative OK to testing genetically modified mosquitoes

IRAQ WARS
Quantum computer factors numbers, could be scaled up

Spinning better electronic devices

Artificial control of exciplexes opens possibilities for new electronics

Demystifying mechanotransduction ion channels

IRAQ WARS
Lockheed Martin delivers KC-130J refuelers to Saudi Arabia

Second CH-53K helicopter enters testing program

Australia pursues buoyancy system for helicopters

L-3 performing depot-level maintenance on F/A-18s

IRAQ WARS
China minister warns on subsidies as Uber, Didi battle

Investors sue VW in Germany for more than 3 bn euros

GM buys self-driving technology startup Cruise

GM, Lyft launch car rental program for drivers

IRAQ WARS
'Forced labour' for thousands of maids in Hong Kong: report

China's Anbang in huge US hotel buying spree

China's next bubble? Iron ore surges as speculators weigh in

Australian logistics giant Asciano broken up in $6.8 bn joint takeover

IRAQ WARS
CCTV in the sky helping farmers fight back against illegal loggers

Eastern US forests more vulnerable to drought than before 1800s

Austin's urban forest

US joins Honduran probe of environmentalist's murder

IRAQ WARS
New NASA Instruments to Study Air Pollution, Cyclones

Eyeing Climate Change, Satellites Provide Missing Information

Sentinel-3A continues to impress

Satellites and shipwrecks

IRAQ WARS
Building a better mouse trap, from the atoms up

From backyard pool chemical to nanomaterial

Nanoparticles on nanosteps

Thermal measurements with nanometer resolution









The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2024 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Statement Our advertisers use various cookies and the like to deliver the best ad banner available at one time. All network advertising suppliers have GDPR policies (Legitimate Interest) that conform with EU regulations for data collection. By using our websites you consent to cookie based advertising. If you do not agree with this then you must stop using the websites from May 25, 2018. Privacy Statement. Additional information can be found here at About Us.