![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
![]() by Staff Writers Beijing (AFP) March 24, 2020
China announced Tuesday that a lockdown would be lifted on more than 50 million people in central Hubei province where the coronavirus first emerged late last year. But fears rose over a second wave of infections in the country fuelled by people arriving from overseas. After two months living with draconian curbs on daily life, residents will be allowed to leave Hubei from midnight Tuesday if healthy, said provincial authorities. Wuhan city -- the initial epicentre of the outbreak -- will end restrictions from April 8. Hubei ordered the shutdown in January but has been gradually easing rules and permitting people to move about within the province and return to work. People who wish to travel in or out of Hubei or Wuhan will be able to as long as they have a "green" health code issued by authorities, but schools will remain closed. "I'm super happy," Hubei native Zoe Wang told AFP. "I'm going to be able to go back and see my parents." "I really want freedom as soon as possible," one Wuhan resident named Willa said. New cases have slowed dramatically over the last month, although the first locally transmitted infection in nearly a week was reported in Wuhan Tuesday, along with three cases elsewhere in China. The figures pale in comparison to imported cases, fuelling anxiety about a possible second wave of infections just as the outbreak appeared to be coming under control. Seven more people died, all in Wuhan, the National Health Commission said. - Second wave - Tuesday's 74 new imported cases were the most since officials started reporting the data at the beginning of March, and nearly double Monday's figure. As nations across the globe battle to contain the pandemic, China's tally of imported cases soared to 427. Most of them -- 380 people -- were returning Chinese nationals, the foreign ministry said Tuesday. Many cities have brought in tough rules to quarantine arrivals, and all Beijing-bound international flights are being diverted to other urban centres where passengers are screened for the virus. Beijing authorities also said anyone entering China via another city before making their way to the capital in the last two weeks would be tested for the virus and told to enter quarantine. But there are signs that life is returning to normal, with authorities saying Tuesday that a popular section of the Great Wall would re-open. There have been more than 81,000 cases of COVID-19 in China and 3,277 deaths from the virus.
![]() ![]() Unemployment at 20% would be 'absolute worst case': Trump Washington (AFP) March 18, 2020 US President Donald Trump downplayed warnings that the US unemployment rate could spike to 20 percent due to the coronavirus pandemic, saying Tuesday the economy is "nowhere near" that point. With the US economy shutting down as more businesses are forced to close, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin reportedly warned Republican senators the jobless rate could reach 20 percent - more than double its peak during the 2008 economic downturn - without a massive government stimulus program. Trump sai ... read more
![]() |
|
The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2024 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Statement Our advertisers use various cookies and the like to deliver the best ad banner available at one time. All network advertising suppliers have GDPR policies (Legitimate Interest) that conform with EU regulations for data collection. By using our websites you consent to cookie based advertising. If you do not agree with this then you must stop using the websites from May 25, 2018. Privacy Statement. Additional information can be found here at About Us. |