GPS News  
Asia forges agreement towards joint disaster taskforce

by Staff Writers
Singapore (AFP) July 24, 2008
Asia's top security forum agreed Thursday on military exercises aimed at forging a regional taskforce to deal with calamities like those that struck Myanmar and China this year.

The ASEAN Regional Forum resolved two years ago to develop guidelines for joint disaster relief, but the confused response to the Myanmar cyclone showed up the fact that little has been done since then.

Singapore Foreign Minister George Yeo said Thursday's meeting of the 27-nation security dialogue, which takes in the 10-member Southeast Asian bloc as well as the US, China and Russia, had gone "quite deep" into the issue.

He said that as well as endorsing a joint US-Philippines disaster exercise, the ministers had established procedures on deploying military resources and "even having designated forces in standby readiness".

"It makes a lot of sense to conduct such exercises, you don't want to be working together for the first time when there are natural disasters," Yeo told a press conference.

"If you have practised before, if you know the radio frequencies, if you share a common language and have common procedures, then you can act so much more effectively."

Yeo said that as the host of the ARF meeting, Singapore encouraged other countries to join the US-Philippines exercise.

An official told AFP that the exercise in the disaster-prone country could begin next year.

"The Philippines and the US have initiated discussions on potential sites and dates, identified logistical procedures and requirements" and looked at proposed rules for participation, said the ARF chairman's statement, obtained by AFP.

Disaster preparedness has risen high on the regional agenda after Cyclone Nargis struck military-ruled Myanmar and an earthquake in southwest China together left more than 200,000 people dead or missing in May.

ASEAN was criticised for failing to pressure Myanmar to open its borders to foreign relief workers in the immediate aftermath of the cyclone, but won over many of its critics by eventually leading a joint international aid effort.

The US sent four US Navy ships loaded with relief supplies and aircraft to the coast of Myanmar after the cyclone but the junta -- notoriously mistrustful of the West -- rejected their help and that of other foreign militaries.

Yeo stressed that "no aid could be forced on any other country" and highlighted differences between Myanmar's response and that of Indonesia after the 2004 tsunami hits its province of Aceh.

"In Myanmar, the warships carrying supplies anchored off its waters caused confusion, created distrust which impeded the flow of international aid to Myanmar at that time," he said.

"In the case of Indonesia after the tsunami, foreign forces were welcomed with no impediments and the result was great speed for bringing assistance to the affected areas."

ARF foreign ministers adopted a statement on disaster management and emergency response when they met in 2006, two years after the tsunami killed 220,000 people in nations around the region.

The agreement called for "operating procedures" to be drawn up on civilian and military cooperation for humanitarian operations, and an inventory of military transport assets available in emergencies. Those calls were not followed up by action.

ASEAN also agreed in 2004 to establish a joint humanitarian relief centre in Jakarta, but that is still not in place, while a 2005 pact on disaster management has not been fully implemented.

"We've got to be all together better prepared to help out in a crisis in any one of our countries," New Zealand Foreign Minister Winston Peters said Thursday.

Related Links
Bringing Order To A World Of Disasters
A world of storm and tempest
When the Earth Quakes



Memory Foam Mattress Review
Newsletters :: SpaceDaily :: SpaceWar :: TerraDaily :: Energy Daily
XML Feeds :: Space News :: Earth News :: War News :: Solar Energy News


Asia's disaster response in spotlight at security talks
Singapore (AFP) July 21, 2008
Two years after Asia's top security forum vowed to develop guidelines for joint disaster relief, precious little has been done and hundreds of thousands more have died in calamities around the region.







  • China Southern Airlines managers take paycut due to oil prices
  • British PM blasts polluting 'ghost' flights
  • Air China says it is to buy 45 Boeing aircraft
  • Raytheon Leads Team To Evaluate Impact Of New Classes Of Aircraft For NASA

  • Fuel For Thought On Transport Sector Challenges
  • China unsold new car stock hits four-year high: report
  • SKorea's Ssangyong plans shutdown as SUV demand falls
  • China loses WTO car parts case against US

  • GD Completes Milestone In MUOS Defense Satellite Communications System
  • Successful Demonstration Of High Power Electric Propulsion System For TSAT
  • US Navy Selects Next Gen Command And Control Processor
  • DRS Completes Testing Of PMM System

  • Test Boosts Missile Tracking Radars
  • New Cuban nuke crisis threat
  • Boeing And MDA Complete Missile Defense Sensor Integration Test
  • Raytheon Radars Play Key Role In Missile Defense Test

  • Reclaimed Wastewater Benefits Florida's Citrus Orchards
  • UN chief calls for sharp hike in world farm output
  • Pollination Habits Of Endangered Rice Revealed To Help Preservation
  • Digital Cameras And Remote Satellites Measure Crop Water Demand

  • Asia forges agreement towards joint disaster taskforce
  • Chinese Earthquake Provides Lessons For Future
  • Asia's disaster response in spotlight at security talks
  • Thousands evacuated as storm hits China: state media

  • RT Logic Awarded South Pole TDRSS Relay II Project
  • Big Space Junk
  • APL-Operated Midcourse Space Experiment Ends
  • Tree Branching Key To Efficient Flow In Nature And Novel Materials

  • NASA Robots Perform Well During Arctic Ice Deployment Testing
  • Eight Teams Taking Up ESA's Lunar Robotics Challenge
  • Three Engineers, Hundreds of Robots, One Warehouse
  • Tartalo The Robot Is Knocking On Your Door

  • The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright Space.TV Corporation. AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space.TV Corp on any Web page published or hosted by Space.TV Corp. Privacy Statement