GPS News  
THE STANS
Afghan talks ready to advance, despite Ghani opposition: sources
by Staff Writers
Doha (AFP) Nov 24, 2020

The peace negotiations between the Taliban and Afghan government in Doha are ready to advance to the next stage, sources close to the talks said Tuesday, despite opposition from President Ashraf Ghani.

The warring sides have engaged directly for the first time following a landmark troop withdrawal deal signed in February by the insurgents and Washington.

The US agreed to withdraw all foreign forces in exchange for security guarantees and a Taliban pledge to hold talks with Kabul.

The talks, which began in September, quickly became bogged down by disputes on the agenda, the basic framework of discussions and religious interpretations.

But agreement has now been reached on all issues that had stood in the way, according to the sources close to the talks.

Ghani, however, objects to wording that refers to his administration and the Taliban on an equal basis as "parties to the war", an Afghan official said Tuesday.

The source said a member of the negotiating team had travelled to Kabul to try to persuade Ghani to accept.

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo called for "expedited discussions" during a visit to Doha on Saturday during which he met with both Taliban and Afghan government negotiators.

The Taliban had in turn agreed to drop their requirement that the talks and any future deal be underpinned by their preferred interpretation of Islamic law.

The insurgents had insisted on adherence to the Hanafi school of Sunni Islamic jurisprudence.

But government negotiators said this could have been used to discriminate against Hazaras, who are predominantly Shiite, and other minorities in Afghanistan.

There has been a surge of violence in Afghanistan in recent weeks including a double bomb blast Tuesday that killed at least 14 people in the city of Bamiyan, home to many members of the Hazara community.

The US-Taliban deal will only be mentioned in the terms of reference for negotiations, the source said.

The insurgents had sought to use the deal, which makes no reference to the Afghan government, as the basis of their talks with Kabul.

Last week, the Pentagon said it would soon pull out some 2,000 troops from Afghanistan, speeding up the timeline of a full withdrawal in mid-2021 agreed in February.

burs-al-gw/hc


Related Links
News From Across The Stans


Thanks for being here;
We need your help. The SpaceDaily news network continues to grow but revenues have never been harder to maintain.

With the rise of Ad Blockers, and Facebook - our traditional revenue sources via quality network advertising continues to decline. And unlike so many other news sites, we don't have a paywall - with those annoying usernames and passwords.

Our news coverage takes time and effort to publish 365 days a year.

If you find our news sites informative and useful then please consider becoming a regular supporter or for now make a one off contribution.
SpaceDaily Contributor
$5 Billed Once


credit card or paypal
SpaceDaily Monthly Supporter
$5 Billed Monthly


paypal only


THE STANS
Armenia appoints new defence minister after Karabakh defeat
Yerevan (AFP) Nov 20, 2020
Armenia on Friday appointed a new defence minister as protests raged after it lost a weeks-long war with traditional foe Azerbaijan over the disputed Nagorno-Karabakh region. The presidency said in a statement that the new defence minister was Vagharshak Harutunyan, an advisor to Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan on defence issues, who previously served as defence minister from 1999-2000. Pashinyan on November 9 announced a Russian-brokered peace accord that ended a brutal six-week war with Azerbai ... read more

Comment using your Disqus, Facebook, Google or Twitter login.



Share this article via these popular social media networks
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit GoogleGoogle

THE STANS
Unilever targets 1-bn-euro sales for plant-based foods

Algae pasta, saltwater crops share million-dollar UAE prize

US agricultural water use declining for most crops and livestock production

People in developing countries eat less bushmeat as they migrate from rural to urban areas

THE STANS
Spintronics advances controlling magnetization direction of magnetite at room temperature

Telling when a nanolithography mold will break through droplets

Sticky electrons: When repulsion turns into attraction

Tiny device enables new record in super-fast quantum light detection

THE STANS
China maintains ban on Boeing 737 MAX flights

Five countries to collaborate on NATO's next helicopters

June crash of F-15C attributed to pilot's spatial disorientation

Lockheed, U.S. government offer to sell 40 F-35As to Swiss air force

THE STANS
GM quits Trump lawsuit against California auto emissions rules

Avoid being road kill author gets run over by Toyota

GM to boost electric, autonomous investment by $7 bn

Switch to electric vehicles could 'end oil era': analysis

THE STANS
Do China tech giants pose a risk for European banks?

Trump joins APEC summit as China counters US protectionism

Asia markets mostly rise but virus surge darkens mood

Stocks boosted as Biden starts White House transition

THE STANS
Bolsonaro slams 'unjustified' attacks over Amazon deforestation

Los Angeles and Google partner on 'Tree Canopy' project

Concrete jungle threatens mangroves on Pakistan island

Bolsonaro vows to name and shame illegal wood importers

THE STANS
Space Flight Laboratory to supply 3 more greenhouse gas monitoring microsatellites

US-European mission launches to monitor the world's oceans

Airbus wins ESA's LSTM temperature-check mission for Copernicus next generation

Contracts signed for three high-priority ESA environmental missions

THE STANS
Making 3D nanosuperconductors with DNA

Researchers share design for affordable single-molecule microscope

Scientists explain the paradox of quantum forces in nanodevices

Rice rolls out next-gen nanocars









The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2024 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Statement Our advertisers use various cookies and the like to deliver the best ad banner available at one time. All network advertising suppliers have GDPR policies (Legitimate Interest) that conform with EU regulations for data collection. By using our websites you consent to cookie based advertising. If you do not agree with this then you must stop using the websites from May 25, 2018. Privacy Statement. Additional information can be found here at About Us.