Subscribe free to our newsletters via your
. GPS News .




THE STANS
Afghan insider attack kills NATO soldier, contractor
by Staff Writers
Kabul (AFP) Sept 30, 2012


Allen 'mad' about attacks on US troops in Afghanistan
Washington (AFP) Sept 30, 2012 - The top US commander in Afghanistan, General John Allen said he was "mad as hell" about attacks by Afghan soldiers on Western troops, but expected them to continue even after the United States and NATO end combat operations in 2014.

"I'm mad as hell about them, to be honest with you," Allen told CBS's "60 Minutes" program scheduled to be aired Sunday.

"We're willing to sacrifice a lot for this campaign, but we're not willing to be murdered for it," the commander pointed out, according to excerpts of the interview released by the network.

He added, however, that the "vast majority of Afghans... they're with us in this."

On Saturday, a NATO soldier and a civilian contractor were killed in a suspected insider attack in eastern Afghanistan, which also resulted in Afghan army casualties.

If confirmed as an insider attack, it would total number of ISAF troops killed in 36 such attacks this year to 52, accounting for about 15 percent of all coalition casualties in the war.

The so-called green-on-blue attacks pose a serious question to NATO plans, which portrayed the advising and training of Afghan forces as the key to the scheduled pullout of Western troops.

Earlier this month, ISAF announced a scaling back of joint operations with its Afghan partners following a dramatic rise in such assaults, in which Afghan soldiers turn their weapons on their Western allies.

Allen said that just as homemade bombs had become the signature weapon of the Iraq war, he believed that in Afghanistan, "the signature attack that we're beginning to see is going to be the insider attack."

A NATO soldier and a civilian contractor have been killed in a suspected insider attack in eastern Afghanistan, the latest in a series described by a top US general as "the signature attack" of the Afghan war.

The assault on Saturday night also resulted in Afghan army casualties, NATO's International Security Assistance Force said Sunday, without providing further details.

But police spokesman Abdul Wali told AFP that two Americans had been killed and three were wounded, while three Afghan army soldiers died and two others were hurt.

The deaths followed "a verbal dispute" during a joint operation in Sayedabad district of Wardak province west of Kabul, the provincial governor's spokesman Shahidullah Shahid told AFP.

A joint assessment of the incident by ISAF and the Afghanistan National Army is under way.

The scale of the so-called green-on-blue assaults is unprecedented in modern warfare, and has seriously undermined trust between NATO coalition forces and their Afghan allies in the joint effort against Taliban insurgents.

"I'm mad as hell about them, to be honest with you," top NATO commander General John Allen told CBS's "60 Minutes" programme recorded before the latest incident and scheduled to be aired Sunday.

"We're willing to sacrifice a lot for this campaign, but we're not willing to be murdered for it," the commander said, according to excerpts of the interview released by the network.

Allen said that just as homemade bombs had become the signature weapon of the Iraq war, he believed that in Afghanistan, "the signature attack that we're beginning to see is going to be the insider attack".

The latest death takes the total number of ISAF troops killed in 36 insider attacks this year to 52, accounting for about 15 percent of all coalition casualties in the war.

NATO attributes about 25 percent of the attacks to infiltration by Taliban insurgents into Afghan security forces while the rest are believed to result from cultural differences and personal animosities between the allies.

Efforts to combat the phenomenon include orders that NATO soldiers working with Afghan forces should be armed and ready to fire at any time, even within their tightly protected bases, and the issuing of cultural guidelines.

The guidelines, drawn up by the Afghan defence ministry, urge their soldiers not to take offence if NATO colleagues exit the shower naked, swear or ask to see pictures of their wives.

This is normal behaviour and no reason to open fire, the hastily written 28-page brochure says.

The assaults pose a serious threat to the NATO war effort, which has portrayed the advising and training of Afghan forces as the key to the scheduled pullout of Western troops.

Earlier this month, ISAF announced a scaling back of joint operations with its Afghan partners following a dramatic rise in such attacks, in which Afghan soldiers turn their weapons on their Western allies.

But US Defence Secretary Leon Panetta said on Thursday that troops had resumed most joint operations with Afghan forces.

Panetta vowed that the insider threat would not derail plans to transfer security to Afghan forces by the end of 2014, paving the way for the withdrawal of most NATO combat forces.

"We must and we will take whatever steps are necessary to protect our forces. But I also want to underscore that we remain fully committed to our strategy of transitioning to Afghan security control," he said.

.


Related Links
News From Across The Stans






Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.

Share this article via these popular social media networks
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit GoogleGoogle








THE STANS
80 percent of Afghanistan free of violence: NATO general
Kabul (AFP) Sept 30, 2012
A senior NATO commander says that 80 percent of Afghanistan is free of violence but warned an insurgency still rages in the south and east, fuelled by fighters coming from neighbouring Pakistan. "About 80 percent of Afghan territory and the Afghan population is not affected by security problems or violence," Lieutenant General Olivier de Bavinchove told AFP in an interview. "On the other ... read more


THE STANS
Plant scientists create 'see-through' soil

Ex-Aussie PM criticises UN on food security

Argentina looks to soybean windfall

Italy's Slow Food movement prepares giant food fair

THE STANS
Oscillating microscopic beads could be key to biolab on a chip

Japan Inc. comes together to save Renesas: report

Optical Waveguide Connects Semiconductor Chips

Single-atom writer a landmark for quantum computing

THE STANS
Eglin F-35 Fleet At 20 And Growing

Eurocopter unit inaugurates chopper plant in Brazil

Brazil to delay jet decision until 2013, no favorite

Poland seeking 70 new military helicopters: PM

THE STANS
Renault says hopes for China OK for factory this year

Auto Production Roars to New Records

Paris car show opens amid gloom on key European market

Tesla taps sun for free electric car fuel

THE STANS
Australia's Forrest wins High Court appeal

Hong Kong hails start of first free trade pact with Europe

Protest shuts alpine transit route in Austria

Strikes hammer S. Africa's mining industry

THE STANS
Rangers losing battle in Philippine forests

Indonesian palm oil company loses permit on illegal logging

Organised crime moving into logging: UN, Interpol

Study Examines Forest Vulnerability to Climate Change

THE STANS
Apple CEO sorry for maps shortcomings

Landslide mapping in the Swiss Alps

China may toughen laws on 'illegal' mapping: state media

Radar altimetry gains altitude in Venice

THE STANS
A Tecnalia study reveals the loss of nanomaterials in surface treatments caused by water

Precision Motion Tracking - Thousands of Cells at a Time

Nanoengineers can print 3D microstructures in mere seconds

Improved nanoparticles deliver drugs into brain




The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2014 - Space Media Network. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement